|Leh Manali Highway - NH03||Open|
|Manali - Rohtang Pass||Open|
|Manali - Rohtang Tunnel - Keylong||Open|
|Sarchu - Baralacha Pass - Leh||Open|
Last Updated - 2 July 2021
- 2 July 2021 - Leh-Manali Highway blocked due to landslide near Zing-Zing Bar. All vehicles to be stopped at Darcha and Sarchu till 3 PM.
- 17 June 2021 - Leh-Manali Highway blocked due to landslide near Baralacha
- 15 June 2021 - Closure of Atal Tunnel from 16 June at 9 PM to 17 June at 12 PM for some maintenance work
- Leh-Manali Highway is Open for all types of vehicles
- Leh bound vehicles should reach Darcha before 12 PM. After that, they will not be allowed through Baralacha Pass and will be sent back to Manali
- Rohtang Pass is open but you do not need to cross it. You can use the Atal Tunnel which reduces the distance to Keylong by about 45 km amounting to 4 hours of travel time
- The status of roads can change anytime and landslides can block roads temporarily. Nevertheless, BRO works rapidly to clear the blockades and open the highway again. Please contact the numbers below before leaving Manali
Emergency Contact Numbers
- District Disaster Control Room - 9459461355
- 24/7 Police Contact Numbers - 8988098067, 8988098068
Frequently Asked Question
Q. When does Leh Manali Highway open usually?
Leh Manali Highway usually opens in the middle of the last week of May. However, since 2021, due to the opening of the Atal Tunnel, Border Roads Organization (BRO) does not need to worry about Rohtang Pass and can concentrate on Baralacha Pass. They managed to open Leh Manali Highway in the last week of March in 2021, which was a record in itself. Less amount of snow last winter also accounted for early opening
Q. Should I travel Leh Manali Highway as soon as it opens?
In the initial few weeks after opening, the roads remain narrow and unstable. High altitude roads, like through Baralacha Pass, may be covered in black ice and prone to frequent avalanches. Many times roads are blocked and people get stranded, who is later rescued by the army. Also, authorities may permit only essential vehicles and locals to use the roads and tourists may not be allowed.
You can travel during the early weeks, but keep in mind all the above risks and make sure to get the latest road status before leaving.
Q. Do I need a permit for Leh Manali Highway?
Since the opening of the Atal Tunnel, a permit is not required as you do not need to cross Rohtang Pass. However, if you want to travel through Rohtang Pass, you can apply for the permit online.